As an ethnic food, tripe is found in different places such as Asia and UK, and now it’s become a well-known natural health choice for different pets. We’ll be unveiling some important details about tripe and show why it’s great for your dog.
Tripe is from the stomach of any ruminant animal such as buffalo, cows, goats, and pigs. It’s edible offal from the stomach of these farm animals. It’s a key ingredient in many different cuisines and you might even see it around. People in different countries (such as Indonesia, France, Ecuador, China, Greece, and India) find it great for consumption and prepare it in a variety of dishes. However, you might be surprised to find out that the tripe consumed by humans is a little different from the tripe that’s healthy for your dog.
Ruminant animals have four stomachs and each of these stomachs produces a different kind of tripe. The reticulum (the second stomach) contains honeycomb-textured tripe, which is the most widely consumed. Rumen (the first stomach) is revealed to produce smooth tripe.
Moreover, tripe is a by-product in the case of other organ meats. It’s the remnant (offal) after killing a farm animal for its muscle for food. Although by-products are usually seen as inferior, offal (tripe) has more nutrients than what you can get from muscle meat.
The short answer to this question, “should you feed your dog tripe”, is yes. Feeding your dog tripe helps improve your dog’s gut health and promote better gut immunity. Besides, it has a good balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and contains digestive enzymes that help break down food. Other benefits include promoting less waste and enticing picky eaters.
There are two basic types of tripe, including green tripe and supermarket tripe. Green tripe is the best. It contains raw, untreated contents of a grazing animal’s stomach or intestines. It also comes with numerous nutritional benefits, including:
1. Enzymes: Green tripe contains natural, digestive enzymes that help facilitate the breakdown of food into nutrients.
2. Proteins: Green tripe is very high in protein, which helps build muscle and enhance different systems, ranging from immune response to tissue repair to urinary tract health.
3. Healthy fat: Green tripe contains heart-healthy unsaturated fats that offer quality and long-term energy and boost high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol.
4. Probiotics: Green tripe contains healthy probiotics ( lactobacillus acidophilus) in great amounts. This helps protect your dog’s digestive system from being overtaken by bad bacteria and making the dog sick.
5. Calcium and phosphorus: Green tripe is nutritionally balanced to have a near perfect calcium to phosphorus ratio and an excellent ratio of Omega-3 to Omega-6 fatty acids.
6. Natural nutrients and minerals: Feeding your dogs with green tripe will provide them with mote usable more usable nutrients for their system like vitamin B12.
Furthermore, green tripe can be highly beneficial for dogs that are:
• Trying to gain weight
• Recovering from illness
• Pregnant and nursing
• Sensitive stomach
• Picky eaters
In comparison to green tripe, supermarket tripe has undergone more processing and is meant for human consumption than for dogs. It is, in fact, less nutritional for dogs. This is mainly because when it’s bleached and boiled, it is not as raw as compared to green tripe, and some of the key nutrients have been removed in the process.
Ensure that you take the following precautionary measures when feeding your dog tripe:
When it comes to preparing tripe for your dog, it’s actually best if you give it raw. It’s important to feed raw because cooking it will eliminate positive digestive enzymes. However, ensure that you store the raw tripe well and prevent it from getting contaminated in any way.
If it’s too much of a hassle to prepare raw tripe, Nutripe is the paw-fect solution for you!
The Nutripe raw green tripe wet food is a complete and balanced limited ingredient diet that comprises more than 85% meat & green tripe. This is akin to the diet that ancient dogs and cats thrived on biologically. Nutripe’s Green Tripe also contains no preservatives, is grain-free and is great for your dog’s dental health! The Nutripe Green Tripe wet food also comes in a variety of choices, such as Pure Ocean Fish with Green Tripe and Pure Beef with Green Tripe.
Check out the Nutripe selection here: