There are so many dog and cat food formulas and brands on the market today that many pet owners are confused about which to choose. Should you pick non-GMO? Kibble or wet? Grain-free or organic? The options from which to choose are many. One of the new options that many pet owners are turning to is freeze-dried foods. But what are freeze-dried pet foods, and how are they better than other options?
What Is Freeze-Dried Pet Food?
Freeze-dried pet foods are like normal pet foods but without moisture. All the food’s moisture has been taken out via a multi-step drying process and freezing temperatures. The result after the drying process is a shelf-stable, bone-dry product that can last much longer than regular pet food.
Freeze-dried cat foods and dog foods are still considered raw foods. However, most freeze-dried dog foods go through high-pressure processing – a process that helps to reduce bacteria quantity such as Salmonella, E. coli, and Listeria. Hence, if you are concerned about bacteria when feeding your pup raw food, you can switch to freeze-dried foods and eliminate your worries.
Benefits of Freeze-Dried Foods
- Least Processed Nutrients: One of the significant benefits of freeze-dried foods is that your pet will get the least processed nutrients. The multiple drying processes do not reduce or affect the nutritional content of the food. Freeze-dried pet foods also taste great, and they are a great option for fussy eaters.
- Retains Flavor: The meal’s flavor is not lost during the processing. These foods come in different flavors that appeal to even the pickiest eaters.
- Retains the Nutritional Value: Freeze-dried foods retain more of the nutrients and vitamins in the raw material than dehydrated or cooked foods. Freeze-drying raw meat ingredients does not remove or reduce the healthy nutrients they contain.
- Enhanced Bioavailability: Another notable benefit of freeze-dried foods is their impact on bioavailability. Bioavailability refers to the quantity of nutrients the body absorbs and uses after consumption. Freeze-dried foods are highly digestible, and the body absorbs and uses all the nutrients in the food.
- Mix with Other Foods: Freeze-dried dog foods are easy to mix with other foods. Because of their excellent flavor and taste, many pet owners often use them as a topping for other types of foods for their pets.
- Less Preparation Time: With freeze-dried foods, you do not have to worry about spending long hours cooking and preparing fresh meals for furry or canine friends. All you have to do is open the bag and serve.
The Best Freeze-Dried Dog Foods
Here are the best, well-balanced, and highly nutritional freeze-dried foods for dogs:
- K9 Natural Freeze-Dried Lamb Feast Dog Food: This freeze-dried dog food is suitable for puppies, adults, and senior dogs. It is also safe for pregnant and lactating dogs. The formula is free of gluten, wheat, rice, soy, artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives. It is highly nutritional and free of any ingredient that could upset your dog’s stomach.
- Raw Rawr Balance Diet Freeze-Dried Venison Dog Food: This dog food is made with natural, human-grade ingredients. The formula is also suitable for both dogs and cats. It supports a healthy digestive system and is ideal for all life stages.
- Absolute Holistic Freeze-Dried Raw Lamb Patties: This formula consists of 90 percent lamb, bones, and organs. It also contains fruits, veggies, and other supplements your pup needs to live a healthy and happy life. It has only one protein source, making it an excellent option for dogs with sensitive stomachs. The meal is well-balanced, nutrient-rich, and suitable for all life stages.
- WOOF Freeze-Dried Raw Beef Dog Food: If you are looking for cheap yet high-quality freeze-dried dog food, this is one of the best options to consider. This formula contains vital ingredients, such as organic olive oil, kelp, chia seeds, New Zealand Manuka honey, Hoki liver oil, and more. It is also rich in omega 3 and 6 fatty acids to give your canine friend healthy skin and a shiny coat.
Best Freeze-Dried Cat Foods
Freeze-dried foods are increasingly becoming popular because of their incredible nutritional value and long shelf life. The drying process does not affect the nutritional value of the food, and they turn out to be very tasty and flavorful. Your furry and canine friends will thank you for giving them freeze-dried foods.